Dzirciems

Riga district of Pardaugava as it's central region. The boundaries are with the rail, Slokas, Dagmar, Lily, Daugavgriva, Tvaikonu, Kuldigas streets. The historic district designation is false. It was named like that because of the 20th century - 80th years built Dzirciema street existing. Riga region with the same name located in the former Zasaulauka (Zasu Manor) and Nordeku manor.

Historically, the oldest village in Pardaugava is the Jura or the Sound village which was located on the St George hospital owned land. Once upon a time it was the center with highest population in Pardaugava. A factor that contributed the growth of the village was a ferry, which provided service between Riga and Kipsala. The first inhabitants of the area were mostly Latvians who was engaged in gardening and fishing.

In the end of 18th century on this territory has settled Prussian consul and trader Johann Wilhelm Helmund who founded company 'Helmund & Sohn', later also appear in the first industrial company - jug factory, a brewery, mill and manufactory. In 1863 near the Daugavgriva and Bullu road launched a brewery 'Ilguciems' - the first Latvian brewery, the company later burned down. The newly established joint-stock company undertook the reconstruction of the old site. There was built completely new, more modern beer brewery.

In 1870 not far from Daugavgriva street, was built the other brewery - 'Tannhauser', later nationalized and included as part of 'Aldaris'. In 1945 it has combined with the work of the organization's brewery 'Ilguciems'. In 1764 the landlord John Seinhauers built a paper mill - the first paper factory in Riga.

To the west of the old village Zundu there is located Dzeguzu hill which is the highest mountain in Riga. One of the largest university complexes in Latvia - Riga Stradina University is located in the area.



dzirciems.lv domain is for sale
Any questions? Please contact Artem